Translate

Monday, June 2, 2014

What Happens in a Missionary's Heart on Mothers Day?



Recently I was asked to speak on mothers day about Moms. Terrified that i might be "that missionary", the one who you know, ruins mothers day with his horrible talk, I decided to spend more time than half a second preparing a message. I centered it around how my Mother has shown her love and compassionate service to, and for me. As I pondered and expressed my feelings, the strings on my heart began to tug, tugging to the point that I began to understand, even just a fraction, of my or any Mothers love.

I think part of the tugging might have come from being 2,370 miles away from my own mom, for almost the past two years; And finally realizing how much she really does for me. Last October conference D. Tod Christofferson shared a statement measuring the importance of Mothers."In all events, a mother can exert an influence unequaled by any other person in any other relationship." We learn from elder Christofferson that a Mothers influence can, and will set the course her children will sail in life.

In my mind there are countless attributes a mother has that helps her navigate this sometimes treacherous job. Three I want to share with you to day are love, compassionate service, and the ability to find out every small detail of your child's life without ever asking them a question, or being sneaky.

First lets speak on being sneaky. Some of you might view this as intrusive or a violation of your child's privacy. Well it is. And it is needed. Although some might not agree, here is how my mom used this attribute to serve instead of scrutinize.


My father served in the Marine Corps for 29 years...the first 12 or so he spent as a Comms operator for a RECON team. This means he was sent on dangerous missions frequently. During a mission he was shipped to Singapore for a month. The only telephone on the whole base was a little pay phone out side of the barracks. With some expert sloothing, my mother, who lived in Texas, was able to have her call patched through to that pay phone, and have it answered by a marine, who went and found my dad so they could talk. I promise you that that, never happens. An impossible task preformed by my mother because of her uncanny ability to be sneaky. What does a phone call have to do with being a mom? well that experience prepared her to embark on a similar mission that would leave a greater influence on her son.


April 27, 1993 a Tuesday spring morning, a beautiful boy was born. 21 years later I awoke on a Sunday, it being my birthday, to realize that I again, would not be celebrating this significant day with any of my siblings, parents, or grandparents. As you can imagine my birthday went as festive as a birthday could go with no family festivities, or so i thought. Around four thirty, as I sat in a missionary stake meeting, a member of the church burst through the door with a silent announcement. Right behind him was the Wineberg family. Sister Wineberg came swooping in with a camera shutter flying at high-speeds, followed by brother Wineberg carrying a delicious chocolate, chocolate, chocolate, birthday cake.

My mom had devised a plan to have a cake delivered on my birthday. I believe my journal from that day tells it best. "My mom surprised me with a gift that made my heart swell, a chocolate, chocolate, chocolate, birthday cake. The Winebergs were the delivery party, which made me smile. After sister Wineberg snapped enough pictures for the satisfying of my Mothers endless picture-wants, the other 12 plus missionaries in the room sang happy birthday...its was pretty awkward. I love my mom."


My mom, although distant, did everything in her power to show her love for me. She that day was and to this day is invested in me. Brothers and sisters, another way to describe being sneaky is invested. Mothers are naturally good at being invested in their children. They do it so effortlessly it seems to be in their DNA. wanting to know, and find out every current event revolving around their children is not for the feint of heart. With such an intense focus on their children, Moms sacrifice and transform their life to love and give service to their fullest extent, on behalf of their children.


The greatest compassionate service my mother has ever done for me has been her example. Her unwavering devotion and righteous actions have lead me to see what christ like attributes look and feel like. Like all mothers, she has and is good at receiving inspiration to skip the questions "what do you need, or what can i do for you" and jump strait into action; serving with a kind word, or advice that mothers sometimes feel goes un-headed. Whether it is loving support or surprising your missionary son with a cake on his birthday, a mothers service is a mother's love personified.


We cast lots in my family, figuratively, to be the "favorite" child. Everyone knows that if you catch my Mom at the right time, usually after I have just finished cleaning the kitchen, she will claim that her first oldest son is indeed the favorite child. (For any of you wondering when to catch her to prove I am her favorite. Catch her
Right after i do something good, and right before I do something dumb. That window of opportunity is pretty small so please use it.) Unfortunately for the children in my family, I have learned that a Mothers love is not favorited onto any single offspring of hers, but is evenly and abundantly spread throughout her whole spectrum of children. It is evident by the way Moms so willingly give up their immediate wants and needs for the wants and needs of their beloved sons and daughters. In john 15:13 we learn that no greater love a man has than he who layeth down his life for his friends. I feel that if the savior where speaking to a group of Mothers he might have said something to this effect. "Greater love hath no woman than this...that a Mom lay down her life for her children." That is what we see with each new Mother and her child, new lives created, and old lives laid down in love and compassionate service.


I add my testimony to that of Elder Jeffery R Holland's, when he says "May i say to mothers collectively, in the name of the lord, you are magnificent, you are doing terrifically well. The very fact that you have been given such a responsibility is everlasting evidence of the trust your father in heaven has in you."


In closing, I feel it important to recognize another group of faithful women. To those sisters who do not yet have children, or yet may never in this life be mothers. Elder Russell M. Nelson, apostle of the lord states "I honor women who are not mothers, they know that motherhood is but one of the realms of womankind. The virtue and intelligence of women are uniquely applicable to other realms as well, such as compassionate service and love." I find it interesting that the attributes of love and compassionate service are not limited to those who are holders of the title Mother, but inherently gifted to all woman.

Brothers and sisters, how beautiful upon the mount are the feet of those who proclaim the gospel. How much more then stunning, are the feet of those who raise, love, and teach, those who will one day proclaim the gospel. I would not be here on my mission without my Mother's love and service. I leave my witness with you, of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ, and the love God has for mothers.


If I had wanted to know the feelings of a missionary's heart on mothers day. I do not know, if i could have found better words to describe them, than these. Although hard, two years away from moms, our closest from birth friends, provide great growth to our relationships and provide opportunities to play a tune on the strings of our hearts, and discover our pure love for them which could have never otherwise been composed.

No comments:

Post a Comment